![CDATA[ [if IE 9] ]]>
History of the Main Library in Placerville
In 1906, the Placerville City Library was established and occupied the upper floor of the Confidence Hall Building. The small confines were shared by the Placerville City Clerk's Office -- separated by a gate which was opened only after the Clerk had finished his business. Those that wished to check out a book had to wait for the Clerk to complete his duties before permitting readers to come through the gate and enter the Library!
The Library remained at the City Hall until 1947. With the help of the State Library and the early "Friends of the Library", plans began work of establishing a County Library. In 1948, enough funds were raised to purchase the old A.S. Fox House on Sacramento Street. Today in memory of the pioneer Fox Family, we have a parking lot named the "Fox Lot" adjacent to the El Dorado Savings Bank Branch on Main Street. The Library moved on ...
In December of 1968, the library was moved into the old Purity grocery market on Main Street to make room for the new Post Office on Sacramento Street. Although bigger, the market still was not adequate for the growing use of the collection. The County Librarian's office was situated in the old meat locker!
...Ten years later. with a Federal Grant and County support, the Library was included in the plans for a new Government Center on Fair Lane. In 1978 the present facility was opened to the public. The building, consisting of 23,000 square feet, proudly stands today inviting El Dorado County residents a place to enjoy.
Branches of the County Library are located in Cameron Park, Pollock Pines, El Dorado Hills, Georgetown and South Lake Tahoe.
Source:Courtesy of the El Dorado County Library