General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Employment Services


Do you know that you can apply for CalWORKs, view documents, submit verifications, report new information, view your EBT balance and much more using BenefitsCal is also available on your mobile phone by going to the App Store or Google Play.  For faster processing of your application fill out all questions on the application and submit proof of your income and identity.

The California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) program gives time-limited cash assistance to families with children, including non-citizens. CalWORKs applicants may also be able to get Medi-Cal and CalFresh (Food Stamp) benefits. Cash benefits are based on the number of people in the family, with most sources of income considered. CalWORKs is the state implementation of the Federal Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program.

The CalWORKs program provides cash assistance and services to families with eligible, needy children who are deprived because of the absence, disability or death of a parent, or unemployment of the principal earner when both parents are in the home. Needy caretaker relatives of a child getting either Foster Care or Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment Program benefits may also receive cash aid. The amount of a family's monthly assistance payment can depend on many factors, including the number of eligible people and special needs of family members. 

CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work

Welfare-to-Work is an employment and training program that promotes self-sufficiency. CalWORKs recipients are eligible to receive job search and employment-related services. Employment services such as counseling, job development, preparation and training, and supportive services such as help with child care, transportation, work clothes and tools, are offered. Services are also available to help with barriers to getting a job, such as substance abuse, domestic violence, mental health and legal challenges. Those receiving CalWORKs cash assistance must participate in the Welfare-to-Work Program unless determined to be exempt. People may be exempt if they have a verified reason (for example, being too ill or incapacitated to work, or caring for an incapacitated person).

Who Can Apply for Assistance?

Everyone has the right to apply for CalWORKs assistance. A person who appears ineligible must still be allowed to exercise his/her right to apply.

How Do I Apply for CalWORKs?

  • Online at 
  • In person or by U.S. mail – Applications may be submitted in person,by U.S. mail or call the nearest Health and Human Services Agency office to have an application mailed to you. 
  • Completed applications and questions can be directed to the Health and Human Services Agency office nearest you:

Placerville Office

3057 Briw Road
Placerville, CA 95667
(530) 642-7300

South Lake Tahoe Office

3368 Sandy Way
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 573-3200

Need Help Getting Your High School Equivalency?

Learn more