General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Vacation Home Rental Information

VHR Owners and Property Managers

Property Manager Certification

Certification Deadline

All owners or property managers who represent permitted vacation rentals as the 24-hour contact in unincorporated El Dorado County must obtain certification by January 1, 2019. All new vacation rental permits submitted after that date are required to provide the contact of a property manager who has already passed the test. Renewals will also be reviewed for compliance with this requirement.

Distance Requirement

Please be sure that you are able to travel to the vacation rental that you represent within 30 minutes prior to taking the certification course. A property management company must ensure that they are located within 30 minutes of all vacation rentals they intend to manage in unincorporated El Dorado County.

Who Must Be Certified?

If you serve as the property manager or the 24-hour contact for one or more Vacation Rentals within unincorporated El Dorado County, you are required to take this course and pass the test. If you are the owner of the VHR and you also act as the Local Contact, you must pass the test. Managers of hotels, motels, campgrounds, or hosted rentals do not need to take this certification course.

Certification Course Materials

The information covered by this course is available by reading the following document collection. Please read all of the materials prior to taking the test. A passing score of 85% (17/20) is required.

Certification Exam

Completed the Course and ready to become Certified?

VHR Exterior and Interior Signage Templates

The Vacation Home Rental Ordinance requires signs on the exterior of the home to notify neighbors of the presence of the VHR as well as to provide Local Contact information. Interior signs are also required. Below are templates to help you comply with the ordinance requirements. The signs do not have to follow this exact format, but they do need to include all required information be visible and legible.

Templates are in Microsoft Word format. Personalizing the templates with the proper information, printing on 8.5" x 11" and displaying on the exterior and interior of the VHR meet the County's requirements of Section 5.56.105 of the ordinance.

Business License and Transient Occupancy Tax Information

A business license and Transient Occupancy Tax registration are required for operation of a VHR. You can apply for a Business License and find out more about TOT collection and remittance at

Questions about business licenses and payment of Transient Occupancy Tax should be directed to Treasurer-Tax collector can also be contacted at (530) 621-5800.

Update Certified Local Contact

It is the vacation rental property owner's responsibility to maintain updated Certified Local Contact information on their vacation rental permit. To update your Local Contact, please return the Local Contact Acknowledgement and VHR Permit Local Contact Change with the $35 fee to the Planning Services Department at 2850 Fairlane Ct, Placerville, CA  95667.  You may also reach us at (530) 621-5355 or at

Certified Local Contact Complaint Reporting Tool

When a complaint is received by a Certified Local Contact, he/she is responsible for reporting to El Dorado County staff within 24 hours of the occurrence. Following the resolution of the issue, the County requires that the Certified Local Contact report the complaint.

  • A complaint must be logged with the County for EACH complaint. This is required EVEN IF:
  • There is no validity to the complaint
  • The issue is resolved without need for a response from the Sheriff or Code Enforcement
  • There is no penalty for a violation
  • There are multiple complaints about one potential violation

Other VHR Owner and Manager Resources