General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Department of Transportation


An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within an El Dorado County (County) maintained road easement or right-of-way per Chapter 12.08 of the County code of ordinances. Applicants have the options to apply using the Online Encroachment Permit Application Submittal Portal, directly in person at either the Placerville or South Lake Tahoe office front counter locations, or by email to contacts listed on webpage. 

All encroachment permits will abide by California Business and Professions Code Section 8771 (b).

Final Utility Encroachment Monument Preservation Policy V3.pdf


Projects involving utility underground work (water, sewer, gas, cable, etc.) within the County right-of-way shall apply for a Utility Encroachment Permit. These types of projects are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Department of Transportation (DOT) with the utility company or applicant paying for at-cost review and inspection services to the County and DOT issuing the Utility Encroachment Permit after DOT approval. The utility company or consultant may contact DOT for either the west slope or Tahoe areas using the link below for information and permitting requirements.


Projects involving standard work or minor utility repairs/connections in the County right-of-way will require an Encroachment Permit from the Department of Transportation. Typical types of work requiring an Encroachment Permit are:

  • Residential driveways
    • Only on roads with speed limits > 25 MPH or Commercial properties. Driveway permits for connections to roads with speed limits of 25 MPH or less are issued by the Building Department.  
  • Obstructions within the right-of-way
  • Landscaping features within right-of-way


The Director of Transportation has the authority to order the temporary closure of a roadway, temporary traffic control, or modification of existing parking controls as necessary for the safety and protection of those participating in a special event under the County Code of Ordinances 12.37. Typical types of work include: 

  • Special events
  • Parades
  • Temporary Road Closures

Permit Applications

Additional Information