Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567


Parents Reminded of New Process for Student Immunization Exemptions
Public Health

Kristine Oase Guth



With the start of school fast approaching, El Dorado County Public Health and school officials are reminding parents of a new requirement affecting student immunizations. AB 2109, a California law that went into effect January 1, 2014, requires parents or legal guardians who wish to waive immunizations for their child to first receive education on immunizations from a health care provider and complete a new exemption form.

The new law affects students entering child care or kindergarten, or advancing into the 7th grade, as well as children transferring into California schools from another state or country. 

Under AB 2109, parents or legal guardians who choose to waive required immunizations must first meet with a health care provider to receive education about the benefits and risks of immunizations as well as the dangers of vaccine preventable diseases. Both the parent or legal guardian and the health care provider must sign the new Personal Belief Exemption (PBE) form. The completed PBE form must then be turned in to the school or child care provider before the student attends, along with a valid record of any immunizations the student has received.

Health Care providers authorized by law to sign the PBE form include: Medical Doctors (MD), Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Naturopathic Doctors (ND), Nurse Practitioners (NP) and Credentialed School Nurses.

“The goal of this new law is to better inform parents about the benefits and risks of immunizations as well as the diseases that they protect against,” said Lynnan Svensson, Supervising Public Health Nurse with the El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency.

The El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency recently launched a new “Live.Love.Vaccinate” campaign and website to provide helpful information about childhood immunizations and the requirements of AB 2109. The website can be found at Additional information, including questions and answers about AB 2109, can be found at: Parents should contact their child’s school or child care provider with specific questions about how and when to turn in immunization information.