General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Behavioral Health

Substance Use Disorder Services

Access to Services

24-hour SUD Access Phone Number: 1-800-929-1955

Access Line for SUD services: 530-621-6290

24-Hour Mental Health Crisis Hotline

West Slope: (530) 622-3345

Tahoe: (530) 544-2219 

For any other emergency call 911

​What Services are Offered?

El Dorado County Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Services offers the following services: 

  • Screening & Assessment
  • Treatment Recommendations
  • Funding Source Matching
  • Long-term treatment referral
  • Co-Occurring Disorders Counseling
  • Coordination of treatment services
  • Multi-disciplinary team approach
  • Recovery Support Services
  • Case Management

Please review our DMC-ODS Provider Directory 

for more information about our contracted providers.


Who is Eligible for Services?

El Dorado County residents enrolled in Medi-Cal are eligible to receive substance use services. For more information regarding Medi-Cal enrollment and eligibility requirements, please visit the El Dorado County Social Services page. For more information about your Medi-Cal benefits relating to substance use treatment, please review the Beneficiary Handbook.

What Happens If I am Eligible for Services?

When people call or are referred to SUDS and found to be eligible for services during the phone screening, the first service provided is an assessment of the impact of alcohol and drugs on their life. The assessment may take place at the County office or at the contracted treatment provider location.

At the assessment, the person is asked about their medical history, if they work or receive money from any source, alcohol use, drug use, if they have been in trouble with the law, relationships with family and friends, and psychiatric history/current status.

After the assessment, SUDS Coordinators/ Addiction Specialists will determine if there is a need for SUD treatment services, as well as what level of service may best meet the person’s needs. Those services could include outpatient treatment, short-term residential treatment or long-term residential programs with our community partners.

Once a service plan is agreed to, the SUDS coordinator will work to match the person to an appropriate funding source and facilitate placement into treatment. The coordinator will also provide case management throughout the course of the treatment episode. Individualized treatment plans are offered to every client who is placed in a licensed treatment and treatment length will vary.


  • Referral received or Individual seeking services calls to request services.
  • Screening completed over the phone.
  • Medi-cal/Insurance verified.


  • Face-to-Face assessment completed with SUD coordinator/specialist
  • Information about medical history, financial status, substance use history and current use, legal issues, relationships/support, and psychiatric history is gathered.

​Treatment Recommendation

  • SUDS Coordinator/Specialist will determine if the need for SUD treatment services has been met.
  • If requirements for a substance use disorder has been met and need for treatment has been determined, ASAM Placement Criteria will be used to recommend appropriate level of treatment.
  • Treatment levels include: Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT), Outpatient, Intensive Outpatient, Short-Term or Long-Term Residential Treatment.

Service Plan​

  • Treatment Recommendation will be reviewed with you.
  • SUDS coordinator will work to secure appropriate funding source and placement in treatment.

Case Management​

  • You will continue to receive case management services with SUDS Coordinator during treatment with a community partner.
  • Individualized Treatment Plan will be established between you and the treatment program you attend.

What is Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT)?

Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) is the use of FDA approved medication to help individuals manage symptoms of withdrawal and cravings from substances. MAT treatment is most commonly used in the treatment of opiate and alcohol addiction.

MAT is available through the following partners:

  • El Dorado Community Health Center
  • Marshall Hospital – CARES program
  • Barton Medical

El Dorado County Naloxone Overdose Reversal Kit Distribution

Naloxone is a medication that rapidly reverses the effects of opioid overdose and is the standard treatment for overdose. In the wake of the opioid epidemic, efforts are underway to make this emergency treatment more readily available and accessible. More information about Naloxone from NIH.

In partnership with El Dorado County Public Health, Naloxone kits are available at no cost to individuals and loved ones of individuals at risk for opioid overdose. Please call 530-621-6109.

Hepatitis C and HIV-AIDS Education is also available for at-risk groups through Public Health.


In the substance abuse field, confidentiality is governed by federal law [(42 U.S.C. § 290dd-2) and regulations (42 CFR Part 2)] that outlines under what limited circumstances information about the client’s treatment may be disclosed, with and without the client’s consent. 42 CFR Part 2 applies to all records relating to the identity, diagnosis, prognosis, or treatment of any patient in a substance abuse program that is conducted, regulated, or directly or indirectly assisted by any department or agency of the United States.

How Can I Get Help?

Any El Dorado County resident can contact our access line and request to speak to an addiction specialist who can provide them with information, referrals, and screening.

The person who is seeking services or a legal parent/caregiver needs to be the one to call and request services. Family members and other loved ones may call and receive information about services.

Access Line for SUD services on the West Slope and South Lake Tahoe: 530-621-6290

What if I have a problem with my Treatment?

If you have an issue with the treatment services you are provided, at any time, you may file what is called a grievance. 

Grievance Procedures & Forms

Additional Information and Resources

National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): A division of the National Institute of Health (NIH) with free information and resources related to substances, effects of substances on individuals and scientific research articles related to substance use. Has a section specifically for teens and parents.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Federal agency designed to provide substance use and mental health service information to the public and professionals within the field. Has free information and resources regarding issues related to both substance use disorders and mental health.

American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM): Learn about ASAM Placement Criteria and level of care. Additional information on various topics about addiction treatment. 

Find a local Community Support Meeting:

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA): Traditional 12-step program for individuals with problem alcohol use.

Narcotics Anonymous (NA): Traditional 12-step program for individuals with problem narcotic use.

Gamblers Anonymous (GA): Traditional 12-step program for individuals with problem gambling.

Al-Anon/Al-Ateen: Support for family members and friends who are concerned about a loved one’s substance use.

SMART Recovery: A science-based support group for individuals with problematic substance use

Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist based support group for individuals with problematic substance use

Celebrate Recovery: A Christian based support group for individuals with problematic substance use

Nar-Anon Family Groups: A 12-Step Program for Family & Friends of Addicts

There are many other free online and in-person community resources and support. Keep searching until you find one that fits for you.