General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567


Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHVs)

The El Dorado County (EDC) Public Housing Authority (PHA) has received 70 Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHVs) from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The EHVs provide rental assistance to qualified individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness; fleeing, or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking; or were recently homeless and for whom rental assistance will prevent a return to homelessness or being at risk of homelessness. 

If you are experiencing one of the above situations and would like to find out if you qualify for Homeless Services,
including Emergency Housing Vouchers, please call (530) 600-2822.

When you call the number above you will reach a staff person from The Front Door. The Front Door provides screening and matching services for a variety of programs serving persons experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness in El Dorado County. The Front Door performs intake assessments, then matches and refers clients to programs that they are eligible for, including EHVs. The Front Door is managed by Tahoe Coalition for the Homeless (TCH) in collaboration with El Dorado County Continuum of Care (CoC) providers of housing and homelessness services. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: "What happens when I apply for an EHV?"

A: When you call The Front Door at (530) 600-2822 to apply for an EHV, you will be asked a series of questions to determine if you are eligible for the voucher, and you will be placed on an eligibility list. You must meet both income and program eligibility criteria in order to qualify for a voucher. The Front Door staff will review this information with you.

Q: "Where does my EHV application go?"

A: If The Front Door determines you are eligible for an EHV and you are selected for a referral, your information will be sent to El Dorado County Housing and Homelessness Services, which includes both Homelessness Services Social Workers and the Public Housing Authority. A staff person with Housing and Homelessness Services will contact you to provide an overview of the EHV process, as well as schedule an intake to review your situation, clarify any additional needed information and/or documents, and then begin the voucher issuance packet. They will keep you posted and let you know when your voucher has been issued. Be sure to call The Front Door or your team member at El Dorado County Housing and Homelessness Services if your situation or contact information changes after you have applied for a voucher.

Q: "What happens after I am issued an EHV?"

A: Once the EDC Public Housing Authority has formally issued you an EHV, you can begin the process of looking for housing. The EHVs are tenant-based vouchers, which means you can use them with any landlord that will accept the voucher. EDC Housing and Homelessness Services can provide you with rental lists and other resources, and assist with landlord engagement and other housing search activities. Once you have found housing, contact the Public Housing Authority right away so that you and your landlord can complete the required leasing paperwork, inspection(s) and other steps. Tenants cannot move in and EHVs cannot be used until all of the final paper work and leasing requirements are completed by the tenant and landlord with the Public Housing Authority.

Q: "How can I reach EDC Housing & Homelessness Services and/or the PHA?"

A: If you have questions for El Dorado County Housing and Homelessness Services please call 530-642-7266 or send an email to
To reach the Public Housing Authority directly please call (530) 621-6300 or send an email to
Additional information about the Public Housing Authority can be found online.


Q: "Can someone on the PHA's Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) waiting list apply for an EHV?"

A: Yes. Individuals and families currently on the HCV waiting list who also meet the EHV criteria should contact The Front Door at (530) 600-2822.