Mormon Island is a relocation cemetery that was created in 1954 by the Army Corps of Engineers. It was used as a new site for several cemeteries that would have been submerged below Folsom Lake when the Folsom Dam was built. The cemetery holds the relocated remains of some of the earliest mining camps established after the 1848 discovery of gold at Sutter’s Mill. Remains from Mormon Island, Salmon Falls, Negro Hill, Condemned Bar, Carrollton Bar, McDowell’s Hill, Natural Dam and Doton’s Bar cemeteries, plus five individual graves were relocated to the new Mormon Island Cemetery. The earliest burial from any of these cemeteries could have been 1848, since several of these Mining Camps were first established in that year. Responsibility for the Mormon Island Cemetery was taken over by El Dorado County from the Army Corps of Engineers in October of 1954. In 1996, remains from the Prairie City Cemetery were interred after being discovered during the construction of the Prairie City Road on-ramp to Highway 50. At five acres, Mormon Island (Mormon Island Relocation Cemetery) is one of the largest cemeteries in the County. Approximately one-half of this area is currently undeveloped. There are 474 occupied plots recorded in the cemetery and 17 plots that have been reserved for future burials, in family plots.
Address: Shadowfax Lane El Dorado Hills, CA Map: #-001-013 & 013A, B & C Contact the Recorder-Clerks Office to order a copy of this map