How to Order Birth and Death Certificates in El Dorado County
Please read all instructions thoroughly. If you are requesting a birth or death certificate for a birth or death that occurred in El Dorado County during the current year or the immediate past year, you can apply in person or by mail to the El Dorado County Office of Vital Statistics located at 931 Spring Street, Placerville, CA 95667. The office hours of the Office of Vital Statistics are 8:00 a.m. to noon, Monday through Friday. If the birth or death occurred in El Dorado County prior to that time, you will need to request a certificate from the County Recorder/Clerk’s Office.
California Health and Safety Code, Section 103526, permits only authorized persons to receive certificated copies of birth and death records. Those who are not authorized by law to receive a certificate copy may receive an informational copy, which is marked INFORMATIONAL ONLY, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTIFY. The law describes authorized persons allowed to receive certified copies as follows:
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate
- An agent or employee of a funeral establishment acting within the course and scope of employment and ordering certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of an individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
To order a certified birth or death certificate by mail, you must complete a request form, have the accompanying “Notarized Sworn Statement” notarized, and send them along with the appropriate fee to the Office of Vital Statistics. The request form can be downloaded from this site (below) or you can request that one be mailed to you. For informational copies of birth or death certificates, the same ordering process applies, except you do not have to complete a Notarized Sworn Statement. Fees are the same for both certified and informational copies of certificates.
Copies of ordering instructions, the application form and the sworn statement form are available by mail from the Office of Vital Statistics, or can be downloaded below. If you have questions about ordering certificates, please contact the Office of Vital Statistics at (530) 621-6121.
Download Application and Instructions:
English: Instructions and Application Form to Request a Certified Copy of a Birth or Death Certificate
Spanish: Instrucciones y Solicitud de Copia de Certificado de Naciminto o Defuncion
Frequently Asked Questions: [Birth Certificates, Death Certificates]