How to Order Copies
Did you know the guidelines for ordering birth and death records have changed?
Marriage requests changed January 1, 2010 - Click here for Forms
Vital Record Fees (per copy)
- Birth Certificate $ 28
- Death Certificate $ 21
- Public Marriage License $ 15
- Confidential Marriage License $ 15
Official Record Fees
- Non-Certified $ 3.00 first page of each document / $ 1.00 each additional page of each document
- Certified $ 5.00 first page of each document / $ 1.00 each additional page of each document
- Use of credit card $ 7.00 (plus cost of record)
Over the Counter
Copies of recorded documents or vital records can be purchased at the Recorder's Office from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. The customer completes a copy request form and gives it to the copy clerk. The copy is made at that time. Payment for an over-the-counter copy can be made by cash, ATM ($2.50 fee) or money order.
A request for a copy of an official record, other than a Birth or Death Record, can be mailed to the Recorder's Office. All copy requests must have:
- A daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem
- An address to mail the copy to
- A check or money order to cover the fee for the requested copies, checks will cause a 20 day delay
- An enclosed, self-addressed stamped legal size envelope will help speed delivery
A request for a vital record, birth or death or marriage certificate, requires completion of special forms when ordering by mail. Click here for more information.
A request for a copy of a recorded document must include the type of document, the parties involved and a recording reference if possible or a date of recording. A search of our on-line index would enable you to provide either a document number or a book and page number.
Copy requests should be mailed to:
El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk
Attn: Copy Room
360 Fair Lane
Placerville, CA 95667
Many vital or official records can be ordered over the telephone with a credit card. For further information, call (530) 621-5490 press 3 for staff assistance. There may be a delay as staff is also assisting the public counter.
- Checks - The Recorder's Office does not accept out of state personal checks. All checks must have the account holder's name, address, phone number, account number and check number pre-printed on them. Checks should be made payable to El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk. There could be a delay of 20 working days for checks.
- Money Orders - Money orders should be made payable to El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk.
- Credit Cards - Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. All credit card orders are assessed an additional $7.00 fee. This fee is charged by VitalChek, the company that processes the credit card information for El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk.
El Dorado County does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. The VitalChek convenience fee of $7.00 is non-refundable.